Aeroplane Heaven Lanc

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote:Is the Mossie ok Simon??

ATB

DaveB :tab:
Ok, I know i'm not Simon, but here's some shots I took earlier! :wink: :lol:

Shame they didn't do more Mossies. IMO it's actually quite nice.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Tks Simon and HC :wink:

I'm only sorry I didn't push EW a little harder as the Spit 16 may well have been a Mosquito :roll: I even questioned his sanity at going for the 16 as many here will probably consider the 9 as the definative Spit but.. you gotta go with what you have and look at the wider picture (sounds very corporate doesn't it!!) and he had access to Vickers original drawings for the 16 so the 16 it was. I won't go into our wish list!! :lol:

I have the RealAir Spit and IMHO, the PD Spit outshines it in just about every area. I can't comment on framerates as I've not physically checked them side by side but I don't see any problems on my XP2400. Most users will probably find the RealAir Spit easier to fly and pound for pound, RealAir have a very sophisticated/polished setup procedure for the end user to tweak what he/she wants to see. I don't know if anything similar will be available on the PD Spit but other than that, you will be getting a more accurate model. Those 'ultra smooth' modelled gauges are there in VC plus, there is a 2D panel too. Textures are better (IMHO) and you will not see that hideous 'texture creep' seen on the RealAir model. To fly it well will take a lot more practise but don't think for one minute that you'll have to spend a week RTFM either.

Only Ed can say exactly what you'll get in the final package but from what I have now, this will mean 4 actual models with variations of each.. clipped wing and full wing (eliptical), IFR and VFR (standard wartime with gunsight). The soundset is accurate and the FD has been tested by two current Spit pilots (sounds and pilots courtesy of the Shuttleworth Collection).

It won't be to everyones liking (what is) but if you want to fly a Spit that doens't have a Griffon strapped on the front end with quality to at least equal RealAir.. exceed RealAir in many areas, then this might just be for you :wink: I still wish he'd done the Mossie though or carried on with the York but you never know what the future will bring :smile:

I'll post a few more shots if you'd like to see some :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'm lucky. My favourite Spits are clipped wing Mk Vs and low back XVIs (clipped or not!) :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Ed Walters
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Ed Walters »

Thanks for the comments Dave! I'm very pleased to see that you consider it equal or better than the RealAir Spit - I would be the first to admit they did a fantastic job on theirs.

In my defence on the choice of "another" Spitfire, I knew about the AH Mossie when I started on the Spit - and didn't want to be beaten to the release as theirs was well under way at the time. The Mosquito is an old favourite of mine, and as you say, you never know what the future holds ;)

There are a few projects in line at the moment, and the Mosquito isn't in our immediate plans, but if there seems to be a demand when we're looking for projects... never say never.

[edit]
There are actually 5 different models, Dave ;)
Clipped wing (stock), Elliptical wing (stock), Clipped wing (faired cannon, stock),
Clipped wing (IFR), Elliptical wing (IFR).

The one with the faired cannon is for the 1950 Farnborough Spitfires... that's how they are in the photos ;)
Last edited by Ed Walters on 27 Aug 2006, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ed Walters wrote: In my defence on the choice of "another" Spitfire, I knew about the AH Mossie when I started on the Spit - and didn't want to be beaten to the release as theirs was well under way at the time. The Mosquito is an old favourite of mine, and as you say, you never know what the future holds ;)
And also there hasn't been a nice XVI yet. One that AH passed over...
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That is also true HC and yes.. I was aware of AH's 'head start' on the Mossie. See.. I DID say there was a market for one didn't I!!!! :lol:

Ed.. nice to see you had to edit your original post to list the FIVE models in the pack. Get's a bit confusing when you're looking through the possible choices doesn't it!! :wink:

I could mention the ground gear you get when parked, the fully working VC (eg.. pull the seat height lever up and the seat wil go up giving you a modified view out).. I could go on. To get the best experience, I suppose TrackIR would be handy but it's not a prerequisite. The same could be said for the RA SPit so if you can get on with that, you'll have no problem with the PD model :wink:

You'd think I was getting paid for this wouldn't you but I assure you I'm not. Moreover, I will buy the release version when it becomes available :wink:

ATB

ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Mike D
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Mike D »

Ed Walters wrote:

There are a few projects in line at the moment, and the Mosquito isn't in our immediate plans, but if there seems to be a demand when we're looking for projects... never say never.
OK instead of lurking as usual it is obviously time to speak up! There IS a demand for a good Mossie and it seems to be from the comments here that AH/JF have not provided one. Even if they had, £30 is OTT when I already have a Lanc that again from the comments here appears to be at least the equal of the new one.

So EW/PD/Simshed/whoever, there is a potent demand for a Mossie and I suggest that all the rest of you who feel the same and want one post your thoughts, PM or whatever to convince the designers who read this!

On Dartmoor this morning it is raining - it is after all a bank holiday weekend - so I can FS with a clear conscience. Whoopee

Mike D

Blister
Meteor
Meteor

Cheap???

Post by Blister »

For those of you bothered by the price, I have found this advertised at £24.99 here: http://www.play.com/Games/PC/GENBRW/3-/ ... roduct.htm
If the good old days were as bad as today - then we are up to our necks in it!

Mike D
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Re: Cheap???

Post by Mike D »

Blister wrote:For those of you bothered by the price, I have found this advertised at £24.99 here: http://www.play.com/Games/PC/GENBRW/3-/ ... roduct.htm
That's a bit better but I am surprised that they don't see fit to mention that it's an FS add-on. We here know but the wider public? Their returns department won't thank them!

Mike D

simtrac
Meteor
Meteor

Post by simtrac »

Not going to thank me either. I was rather hoping it would look better this morning and last night was just a bad dream ... but nope!

It's off my hdd and I'm asking Just Flight nicely for a refund. Soon as I get it, Lancaster.exe 'empty recycle bin' :roll:
Simon