Aeroplane Heaven Lanc

If you have a payware prog whether it be a model, scenery or utility that you have tried.. tell us about it here.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Javis
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Javis »

Rick Piper wrote:Yes the mossie merlins did not counter rotate.
it'a question of design and Dh where masters of balance and poise :wink:
Ok! I'm sure they were ! :smile: Lotta torque to fight at initial take-off run...
Rick Piper wrote:If i didn't have to buy yet another Lancaster i would love to buy the mossie.
Wait a while, Rick, AH will release a dedicated Mossie package as well ! This one which comes with the Lanc pack is only a teaser. Nice teaser it is too ! :smile:
Rick Piper wrote:How's the little British Monoplane coming on Jan ? (Can't remember which it was :redface: )
Ah,yes, the lovely Percival Vega Gull.. Have to admit it's gathering nothing but dust at the moment ( designed some nice covers, mind you :wink: ) Still waiting for sufficient cockpit photo's which seem hard to come by. Two times already fishing behind the net ( "... if i'd known i would've shot more " .... ) I might forget about the Vega Gull for a while and change to a Proctor for which i do have more or less enough cockpit photos. But i WILL finish the Vega Gull come heaven or hell ! :smile:

Cheers,
Jan

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Brian Franklin »

Toby,

Sorry for the late reply, only just read this thread. Yes apologies, TSR-2 was indeed to have been my next release. However I was producing it in FSDS2 and had almost completed the project when FSDS3 burst onto the scene.

Obviously FSDS3/XML would allow a much more capable model and VC to be produced so I set about converting the '2 the FSDS3. Suffice to say I hit upon one major problem which until resolved put the release date back (indeed out-of-site-altogether).

I took the decision to jump Wessex to the front of the queue and having now solved the TSR-2 problem will return the that next (honest!).

About having so many projects on the go..... guilty! I will freely admit that I can get bored easily and look for temporary diversions, so yes I do keep other projects ticking over in the background.

Handbags at dawn? I don't think so, seriously though it's nice to be thought of as competition for such a fine model.

Brian
Last edited by Brian Franklin on 29 Aug 2006, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
AndyG wrote:
You could also consider posting over at the Sim-Outhouse forum, as Bazz is a regular there.
Cunning plan...

...done... :smile:
HC

And Bazz has given you a very nice reply as well! Me, cunning as a fox who's professor of cunning .........

AndyG

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Jan

You could be right i just don't think i have ever seen a Merlin spin the other way.

I will have a read of my Books.

Regards
Rick
Last edited by Rick Piper on 29 Aug 2006, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Don't think I've seen too many contra-rotating Merlis either, still G-REAR might oblige if the balloon got caught in a tornado. :k:

Bit before my time, but the Hornets spun their Merlins both ways at the same time, as I recall. Could be something to do with the FAA connection!

Perhaps Alphasim could feed some big Macs to their Hornet and give us another Mossie, they did have one some time before.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

They seem to both rotate the same way looking at the props

http://airliners.net/open.file/1077493/L/

http://airliners.net/open.file/1038064/L/

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

Hi Guys

I checked my books and none of the ones i checked had contra dir props.

I didn't think they did as it would have stuck in my tiny mind like glue. :dunno:

I have no idea why it works but can't find any reports of hard to balance against the torque in any flight reports or the pilots notes.

Regards
Rick :wink:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Rick

Was the fin offset, asymmetric of both?

That's sometimes used to counter torque.

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

This is the info I was thinking of:

"The Hornet was powered by twin Rolls-Royce Merlins, which unlike the Merlins fitted to the Mosquito were "handed", with a "Merlin 130" on one side and a "Merlin 131" on the other, both rated at 1,515 kW (2,030 HP) and fitted with Hydromatic four-blade variable-pitch propellers."

I'd assumed that the purpose was to spin in opposite directions, rather than any esoteric handing of ancillaires or whatever.

I'll go back to contemplating well-inflated balloons.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

Gentlemen

I remember talking to a Dan Air Captain who flew Mossies in World War 2
who confirmed the legend about being able to takeoff with a mossie - feather an engine (either one) and the perform an aileron roll into the dead
engine so my assumption would be that the controls of the Mosquito
especially the rudder were so well harmonised that 'P' factor was kept to a minimum.

Leif

Umm and on the same matter (from the same conversation) Anyone aware
that the Mosquito could and did suffer from High mach number compressibility??