Three Point Landing!

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Three Point Landing!

Post by Jon.M »

I really like this Lancastrian by Plane Design which I got a week ago. But I've always had trouble doing three point landings, I either come in too slow and stall before the threshold or too fast and bounce or float the length of the runway.

So I consulted "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche, subtitled An Explanation of the Art of Flying. He criticises three point landings for these very reasons and recommends landing on the main wheels at a speed higher than stalling speed. To avoid bouncing you should push the stick forward on touchdown and you can even brake quite hard at the same time he says.

I'll give that a go I thought and that's how I did this perfect three point landing. :lol:

This is the end of the landing run and the plane has stopped, it stayed on it's nose.

Actually I found that pushing the stick forward to place the plane on the runway and keep it there works really well, it's the braking bit you have to be careful with, especially in MSFS where the brakes are all or nothing.

Jon

Why has photobucket reduced my picture to half size? It was well under their 1Mb limit.

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

I've done a few in reality, you pull back and let it stall down onto the runway. Main wheels first and as you slow the jack wheel touches down.

But I wasn't in a multi million spit. :k:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Nice landing, did FS register it as a crash?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I've got crashes turned off as they cause the flight to reset which is a pain.

Not that I crash often you understand. :whistle:

Robin, I have managed it with Rick's chippie for instance. Funny you should mention spits. Just Flights Spit is one plane I can rarely land properly.

Refering to Langewieshe again he states that pilots of airliners and "hot army ships" don't do three point landings. Mostly because the approach at stalling speed maybe over obstructions is dangerous.

Jon

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

That looks expensive!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

Robin
Trident
Trident

Post by Robin »

Jetset wrote:That looks expensive!
No Jetty, it was expensive. Now it has been bought by tefal for their red ring technology ;)

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Jetset wrote:That looks expensive!
No problem. Unbolt the nose cone and stick the bomb aimers window and gun turret back on. The added benefit is you can deal with the Cessna on finals you've got to follow. :gun:

Jon

Jetset
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Jetset »

Like your style Jon!
Onwards and Upwards!!!!!!!!
Jetty!
If God had of meant us to fly, he would have given us wings! He did, it's called an aeroplane!

OneMacGuru
Meteor
Meteor

Post by OneMacGuru »

An ex BBMF Lanc pilot once told me that +6lbs of boost is required and the plane flown onto the tarmac :shock: At the same time a slight forward tweak of the yoke is required to cancel the lift on the wings. I suppose a 3 pointer is possible but being so close to the stall.....
Back in a few hours - off to try out 3 pointers...

Al

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

jon..

Unless your speed is correct (or thereabouts) on landing.. pulling back on the stick to get the tail down can get you back in the air again so.. quickly pull the flaps in one notch (as your main gear settles) and you'll find the tail will settle quicker and the liklihood of getting airbourne again is much reduced :wink:

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!